The Diocese of Savannah is committed to providing safe environments and fostering continuous improvement in every organization that sponsors activities and/or provides services to children and youth. Through a series of workshops, educational materials, media articles and background checks, the Diocese is
- Increasing awareness of potentially harmful situations through the VIRTUS Protecting God's Children for Adults training workshops.
- Implementing a Diocesan Code of Conduct for Those Working with Minors which outlines acceptable and unacceptable behaviors for all clergy, employees and volunteers.
- Evaluating background checks for relevance to the employee’s or volunteer’s position.
- Providing continuing education through the VIRTUS Web site.
VIRTUS compliance - The master report for Virtus compliance is in a binder labeled “VIRTUS COMPLIANCE” on the credenza in the church vestibule. Please check to see if you, or someone in your ministry, is NOT in compliance. If not in compliance, one or more of the following will need to be done:
1. Background check - This needs to be done every 5 years. Forms are in the binder and online. Please fill out the form and give it to the DRE.
2. Code of Conduct - This is done one time only.
3. Safe Environment Refresher training - This is done online every 5 years and takes less than 5 minutes.
These items need to be completed by March 31 for everyone at St. William that works and volunteers around children. Call Nancy at (912) 638-2651 for more information.
For VIRTUS Training scheduled in the Diocese of Savannah, click here.